Scar of the Sea strives to shift the pendulum to focus on what is in the glass. The most important part of our wines and cider is where they are grown. Location, climate, and soils matter. These wines and ciders are crafted with minimal manipulation. Balance is achieved through working directly with growers at carefully selected vineyard sites, and the wines ultimately show where they are grown. All the vineyards and orchards are influenced by the sea, with maritime soils, and climates, producing wines and ciders that are unique to the Central Coast of California.
Michael and Mikey met while Mikey was in his final years of college at Cal Poly. They became friends based on their shared interest and fascination in wine and the ocean. Mikey started to work for Michael while he was the winemaker at Kenneth Volk Vineyards, learning from both him and Ken as much as he could. Under Michael’s advice Mikey decided to go to the Southern Hemisphere to continue to make wine during the California winter and spring.
Wines distributed in Colorado:
- Methode Ancestrale Chardonnay, Amuse, Shandon Hills Vineyard, Central Coast, CA
- Chardonnay, Santa Barbara County, CA
- Chardonnay, Seven Leagues, Santa Maria Valley, CA
- Chardonnay, Bien Nacido Vineyard “Block 11” Santa Maria Valley, CA
- Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara County, CA
- Pinot Noir, Seven Leagues, Santa Maria Valley, CA
- Pinot Noir, Bien Nacido Vineyard, “Q Block” Santa Maria Valley, CA
- California Hard Cider
- Dry Hopped Cider
- Newton Pippin Hard Apple Cider